Scope of Certification
Lankaran is the biggest town in the south-eastern part of Azerbaijan (315 kilometers from Baku) located at the west coast of the Caspian ere are many ﬁne sand beaches. Previously Lankaran was the
center of another Azeri K han Kingdom called Talysh Khanate for several centuries. Some constructions from the 18-19th centuries are still standing from that period.
Talysh-Mugan region is located in a southeast of Azerbaijan and covers the territories of Astara, Jalilabad, Lerik, Masally, Yardymly and Lenkaran administrative areas. In the east the region is washed by Caspian Sea, and in the West and the south borders on Islamic Republic Iran. The total area of the region makes 6,08 thousand square kilometers or 7 % of the territory of the country. The number of population
- about 800 000 people.
The territory of this area shares on relief features on two parts - Lenkaran lowland and Talysh mountains. 26 % of territories are covered by woods. The area is rich with thermal mineral waters. The damp subtropical climate and the fertile grounds create ample opportunities for development of agriculture. In structure of agriculture the preference is given to early vegetable growing, tea growing, wine growing, and grain growing.
The picturesque natural landscape, hot and cold mineral waters, climatic conditions and the developed transport network create favorable conditions for development of resorts and tourism.
Lankaran is the biggest town of the Talysh-Mugan region and located at the west coast of the Caspian Sea. There are many ﬁne sand beaches hear. Previously Lankaran was thecenter of Azeri Talysh Khanate. Some constructions which were built in the XVIII- XIX- th centuries are still standing from that period. Lankaran district is widely known for its National Parks. One of them, like “Gizilagaj” includes more than 250 kinds of plants, 54 species of ﬁsh and more than 248 species of birds.
The reserve was established in 1929 for protecting and reproducing wintering and migrant water birds, swamp and steppe birds.
The “Hirkan” National Park is located between the Caspian Sea and Talysh Mountains. It is famous for ancient native trees,such as demir- aghach (“the iron tree”), Samshit ( gyrcanian box tree), silk tree, oak, eucalypt, lignum vitae, corkwood, velvet birch and etc.
asally city –another one administrative center of Talysh-Mugan region . At this point in the ancient tribe lived "masal" - remained in the memory of the people, it led to the modern name of the city. . In one of the most picturesque corners of the mountain region is a mineral
Baku – Lankaran - Baku uration: 1-2 days
Distance: 315 km
Participating in this tour, you will enjoy beautiful nature and a rich excursion program, shing in “Hanlyg” forestry - one of the most picturesque places in the region; visit to the “Khanbulachay” reservoir, to “Mamushta” village, where you will see the elderly in the village mosque and will be guests of a family with a traditional way of life in Azerbaijan villages (tea ceremony), visit to tea plantat
|SIGHTSEEING in Lankaran|
The rests of a medieval fortress “Balabur”, Museum of History - a for mer apartment house of the leader of Lankaran region Mir Akhmed of Talysh Khan (end of 19 c.); a Round Tower “Zindan” - for mer old prison (1747-1869); an architectural monument – apartment house of Isa Khan (beginning of 20 c.); Kichik Gala Mosque (19 c.); Guldasta minaret; the ancient bath of Gaji Mirza; Russian orthodox church; the house-museum and a monument in city centre to general-major Hazi Aslanov;
the ancient bridge through Lankaranchay river; the openwork metal iron-road bridge through Lankaranchay river (1945); an ancient mosque “Khajy Novruzali” (19 c.); a sports Olympic complex (2003); tea plantations in Hirkan settlement; a thermal mineral spring “Istisu” in Haftoni settlement; a water r eservuare a nd dam in a beautiful mountain ho llow K hanbuloni, places of archeological excavations on a necropolis of stone boxes “Khanbulan” (the end of II – beginning of I millenia B.C.).
Lankaran region (31 excursion routes and objects)
1. A sightseeing tour (2-3 hours) throughout Lenkaran city and its vicinities.
2. Historical-local lore museum - a former apartment house of the leader of Lenkaran region, Mir Akhmed of Talysh khan (end of Х1Х c.–1913).
3. An architectural monument – Apartment house of Isa khan (beginning of XX century) in Lenkaran region.
4. A city naval lighthouse – a former round city defensive Tower (1747-1869).
5. A round Tower “Zindan” - former old prison (1747-1869) (in a bad, unrepaired condition).
6. Russian orthodox church in Lenkoran region.
7. The rests of defensive towers on ruins of an old fortress (beginning of Х1Х century) in Lenkaran region.
8. Mosques of Lenkaran region:
- In “Beyuk Bazar” block (XVIII-XIX centuries);
- In “Kichik Bazar” block (Х1Х c. - 1906).
9. Baths of Х1Х century in Lenkaran region:
- In “Kichik Bazar” block
- “Khaji Mirze hamamy”;
- “Khaji Gurban hamamy”;
- A bath of the European type (XX century).
10. The house-museum (1969) and a monument in city centre (1983) of general-major to Hazi Aslanov in Lenkaran region.
11. The rests of a medieval fortress “Balabur”.
12. Excursion objects in Syutemurdov / Sutamurdov settlement:
- Tea factory;
- The openwork metal iron-road bridge through Lenkaranchay river (1945);
- The ancient bridge through Lenkaranchay river;
- An ancient mosque “Khajy Novruzali” (Х1Х century);
- A sports Olympic complex (2003).
13. A water reservuare and a dam in beautiful mountain hollow Khanbuloni, and places of archeological excavations on a necropolis of stone boxes “Khanbulan” (the end of II – beginning of I millenia B.C.);
14. Tea plantations of a tea-growing industry “Aurora” in Girkan settlement.
15. A thermal mineral source “Istisu” and sanatorium in Haftoni settlement.
16. Excursion in fishing facilities and on a factory on processing fish production in Nerimanabad settlement.
17. A necropolis of stone boxes (the end of bronze - beginning of the iron period) on mountain.
18. An exotic Canyon of Lenkaranchay river.
19. Architectural monuments in Shikhakeren settlement:
- A mosque (Х1Х century);
- The medieval mausoleum “Sheikh Zahid” (a memorial to the grandfather of Shakh Ismail Sefevi).
20. Muslim monuments of architecture in Jil settlement:
- A mosque (Х1Х в.-1906);
- The mausoleum “Khelife Turbesi” (Х1Х century);
- The house where was born Sheikh-ul-Islam Haji Allahshukur Pasha-zade.
21. Ancient Baths in the areas of Lenkaran settlement:
- Shaglaser (Х1Х century);
- Boladi (1914);
- Separadi (Х1Х century).
22. Mosques in other areas of Lenkaran settlement:
- Ashagy Nuvedi (Х1Х century) - Gegiren (XX century)
- Yukhary Nuvedi / 2 mosques / (Х1Х century) - Olhovka (Х1Х-ХХ centuries)
- Viyan /2 mosques / (XVIII century and 1883) - Khavzova / Gavzova / (XX century)
- Seyidekeran (Х1Х century) - Shilavar (Х1Х century)
- Luveser / Luvasar / (Х1Х-ХХ centuries) - Shaglaser (Х1Х-ХХ centuries)
- Rvo (1906) - Vilvan (Х1Х century)
- Girdeni (Х1Х-ХХ centuries) - Digeh (Х1Х century)
- Viravul (Х1Х century) - Mamusta (Х1Х century)
- Viravul / “Turnoba” block / (Х1Х century) - Turkoba(Х1Х century)
- Boladi / “Seyidoba” / (Х1Х century) - Germyatuk (1906)
- Boladi / “Mollaoba” / (Х1Х century) - Kergelan (Х1Х century)
- Digeh (Х1Х century) - Luvasar (Х1Х century)
- Germetuk (Х1Х century) - Shilavar (Х1Х century)
- Darguba (Х1Х century) - Bala Shuruk (Х1Х century)
- Sepnekeran/ Seflekeran / (Х1Х-ХХ centuries) - Kholmili (1886)
- Shaglakuje / Shakhlakuche / (Х1Х в.-1904).
22. Ancient medieval cemeteries in Shikhakeren, Kholmili, Nikan, Yukhary Nevedi, Suyudutever and others settlements.
23. Archeological excavations to an ancient settlement “Moloja” (ХIV-XVI centuries) at Moloja settlement.
24. Places of archeological excavations near the group from 7 Barrows “Yeddi Gardash” (the period of bronze).
25. A necropolis “Divelona” (the period of bronze – beginning of the iron period).
26. Archeological excavations on an antique site of ancient settlement “Viy” at Viy settlement.
27. Places of archeological excavations “Alazayim” (XIII-XV c.) at Alazatin settlement.
28. Archeological monuments at Gegiren settlement:
- An ancient site of ancient settlement “Joda” (the antique period);
- Ancient settlement and a cemetery “Shakhalakon” (the antique period);
- The big medieval settlement (III-VIII centuries);
- A medieval site of ancient settlement “Gegiren” (XIII-XVI centuries);
29. Excursion in Girkan National Park.
30. Ethnographic excursion in the areas of talysh settlements.
31. Jeep-safari excursion in Lenkaran region:
Girkan – reservoir Khanbuloni – Dashtatuk – upwards on gorge of Vajaruchay river - Anjakov – Bilesar – Alazapin – Khulebend mountain – Nosovedi – gorge of Lekerchay river – Daster – Khovil – Khelfegoni – Siov – Siovbend mountain (1116 m.) – Zarikumejo.
|Direction and distance from Baku in km.|
Direction and distance from Baku in km.
By auto road: by buses, minibuses or passenger cars
Baku - Lankaran = about 284 km
Length of routes within the region:
Masally - Lankaran = about 37 km
Lankaran - Lerik = about 53 km
Lankaran - Astara = about 43 km
From Baku by rail: Masally- Lankaran- Astara = 7-10 hours
Flights and transfers
a) The flight Baku - Lankaran = about 50-60 minutes
b ) Transfer by car from the Lenkaran airport to:
- the Lenkaran city center= 10-15 minutes
|What to visit|
Monuments of history and architecture
-Historical museum - a former leader of the Lankaran city (end of X1X century- beginning of XX century).
-Urban naval Lighthouse - a former city round defensive tower (1747-1869 .)
-Round Tower " Zindan " - a former old prison (1747-1869 .)
-The mosque in the quarter , " Boyuk Bazaar » (XVIII-XIX centuries).
-The house -museum and a monument to Major General Hazi Aslanov
|Where to stay|
High class hotels:
Tourist complex «Palmalife» 5 * near Lankaran city
Hotel «Qala» 4 *, in the central part of the Lankaran city
- Reservoir and dam in a beautiful mountain valley Hanbuloni
- The “Hirkan” National Park (flora and fauna of the Talysh region )