Scope of Certification
How to get
By bus - Scheduled bus Baku-Agsu
Agsu city-administrative center of Agsu district - is on the road leading to the northeast of Kurdamir in direction of Shamakhi, 37 km to Shamakhi on the bank of Agsu River. A lot of rivers in Azerbaijan have name "Agsu". They are called in this way due to origins in the snowy mountains. "Agsu" means "clean, pure water".
The road to Agsu lays through the famous Agsu pass at the length of 14 km and maximal height of 900 m. Magnificent sight on Shirvan valley is opened from here in clear weather and the traveler is impressed with the immense spaces of the magnificent panorama of these palaces. When the pass is covered with the fog, each passenger feels that he moves through the clouds. There is grape silkworm cocoon procession enterprices in the district. Agsu is famous for its carpets "Birjo", "Gashed", "Pirsaganli".
Museum of history, recently built mosque, memorial to the victims of January 20 and original constructions of the building of tax department are among the main sightseeing of the city.
Settlement of "Yeni Shamakhi" existed 4 km to the city in the past. In 1734 Iranian shah Nadir destroyed Shamakhi and ordered to settle to the remained citizens of the settlement to move here. Ruins of this city, which are named in the folk "Kharabashahar", have been saved.
Mausoleum of Sheikh Dursun raised in 1382 is three kilometers to the city of Agsu. Architectural image of this monument anticipates another - richer mausoleum raised in 1457, mausoleum of Sheikh Mezid. Colorful tiles both in the fronts and in interior are applied in the mausoleum. Mausoleum of Ag Gumbaz is in the southwest of the city and ruins of constructions of XVIII century - in the south; there is Maiden Tower in the village of Gurjuvan.
|Agsu (17 excursion routes)|
1. A panorama of a mountain plateau from “Baku - Shamakhy” highway on 60th km in area of Jengi settlement in Gobustan area;
2. Diri Baba mausoleum in Maraza settlement in Gobustan area;
3. “Galacha” cave settlement in Yekehana settlement at Pirsagatchay river;
4. “Abu Bekr” mosque and a complex of springs at Sundi settlement;
5. A sanctuary-pir “Pirsaat” at “Baku-Shamakhy” highway in area of the bridge through the Pirsagatchay river;
7. Brief sightseeing tour (till 1 o'clock) in Shamakhy city;
8. Excursion in Shamakhy astro-physical Observatory named by academician Mamedaliyev in Pirgulu settlement;
9. Visiting of “Alchaly Pir” sanctuaries at Pirgulu settlement and on one-nominal “Pirgulu” mountain (1483 m.);
10. Visiting of “Gulustan” medieval fortress’ ruins in vicinities of Hynysly settlement;
11. Survey of the rests of medieval fortress “Kale-i-Burug” in area of Keshmedin Galaderesi settlements;
12. A sulfuric thermal mineral source “Bedo” on the left side of Agsuchay river’r gorge in area of Chagan settlement;
13. A panorama of mountain gorge of Agsu river and mountains of Niyaldag ridge from “Muganly-Ismailly” highway in area of Muganly pass at one-nominal settlement;
14. Auto-excursion to the place of archeological excavations “Haraba Sheher” at Ulguch settlement in Agsu area;
15. Complex (auto-foot) excursion to ruins of the “Hezine Gala” / “Torpag Gala” fortress at Beimli settlement in Agsu area;
16. The mausoleum "Sheikh Dursun" in Agsu city;
17. Jeep-safari excursion from Chuhur Yurd settlement in settlement Kaleybugurd, further downwards on Agsuchay river’s gorge, then in Kelva, Sulut, Basgal settlements and further through Nuydi and Gurjivan settlements in Agsu city.