Scope of Certification
Nakhchivan is the main city and capital of the Autonomous Nakhchivan Republic. The town was an ancient trading centre. Some historians consider that it was founded in the XVI - th century BC. According to a legend, the city was founded by Noah. The Greeks and Romans
called it Nacksuana / Naxuana (from the Greek for sweet water). İn the Second century BC it is mentioned by Ptolomy as a thriving city. It was the capital of the Atabek Eldegiz emirate in the XII-th century and the Nakhchivan Khanate in the XVIII-th century.
The main sight in the city is the XII-th century Momine Khatun Mausoleum.Also from the XII-th century and by the same architect, is the octogonal Yusuf Ibn Kusir tomb, known as 'Atababa'
The city also has an historical museum, a literary museum . Have a look also at the baths and the blue domed Imamzade, the tomb of Abu Muzaffa Bahdur Khan.
The city has a few interesting mosques, particularly the Juma mosque, with its large dome.
Ordubad - the second largest city of the Nakhchivan Republic. It is a city of gardens, roses and nightingales. It is located on the Ordubadchay river at an altitude of 850 m above sea level. The city is known from the XVII century. Given the many historical sites, the city declared a state historical-architectural reserve.
Ordubad region have many historical monuments : Bronze Age monuments - stone statues, remains of settlements II-I millennium BC, the ruins of ancient cities - Gilan and Anabad, medieval buildings, tower Shahtakhti; mosque XVIII - XIX centuries, the feast (the temple) XVII century in the village Khanaga etc.
Ordubad city has historical museum, the theater, the house-museum of the writer Ordubadi, the founder of the historical-romantic genre in Azerbaijani literature.
Ordubad is famous for its gardens and longevity-plane trees, the largest of which is 18 meters in diameter. Ordubad - the oldest center for the breeding of silkworms
Duzdag Cave located in 12.2 km from the city center of Nakhchivan and is on 1,173 meters above sea level.
In new time near salt mine ,which based in a depth of 300 meters, was built 5 stars "Duzdag" Hotel and modern Asthma Therapy Center. According to information provided by World Health Organization approximately 10% of the world population suffers from allergy. Out of this number 1.5-2% falls on the share of bronchial asthmas.
“Spleoteraphy” is a word of Greece origin, which means “Spelaion”- cave, pit and “therapy” – treatment. A treatment, which carried out in salt mine “Duzdag " in Nakhchivan is very effective.
Ashabi-Kahf is a Sanctuary located in the natural cave between Ilandag and the Mountain Nahajir, approximately 12 km away from the city of Nakhchivan of Azerbaijan. It is one of the world's rare sanctuaries. There is information in the ancient religious literature, as well as in the holy Koran about existing of similar name place in the territory of Asia Minor or Palestine. However, in accordance with comprehensive studies carried out the sanctuary mentioned in "Holy Quran" is the same of the Nakhchivan.
Acquaintance with the structure, the natural geographical conditions of the cave allows to say that it was one of the world’s early settlements.
|Direction and distance|
By air: Baku - Nakhchivan every day 4-5 flights, flight duration - about 1,5 hour
Ganja-Nakhchivan flight duration - about 1 hour
Moscow-Nakhchivan flight duration - about 3 hour
|What to visit|
Monuments of history and architecture
Nakhchivan and surroundings:
- Mausoleum of "Momina Khatun" (1186-87 gg.)
- Carpet Museum in the former residence of Dzhyafyargulu Khan (XVIII c.)
- The old mosque "Juma"
- The ruins of a medieval fortress "Nakhchivan galasy" (X-XI centuries).
-The mausoleum "Yusuf ibn Kuseyir" / "Yusuf Kuseyir oglu" / (1161-62 gg.)
- Religious and memorial complex "Imam zadya» (XVIII c.)
- An old bath "Ismail Khan hamams» (XVIII c.)
- The old town fridge "Buzhana"
- A monument to legendary folk storyteller "Dede Qorqud"
- Religious memorial complex "Imam zade" in the cemetery (X-XVII centuries). in the Negram village
- The old shopping center "Geysariya» (XVII c.)
- The average Muslim school "Madrasa» (XVIII c.)
- Mosque "Juma» (XVII c.)
- The old city fridge "Buzhana» (XVIII c.)
- The old mosques "Yukhary Ambaras" and "Asagi Ambaras» (XVII c.)
- Reserve "Old Ordubad» / (XV-XIX c.)
-Historical and Cultural Reserve "Gulistan" in the Juga village
- The mausoleum "Gulistan» (XIII c.)
- A medieval caravanserai (XIII c.)
- Old Bridge (XIII c.) across the river Araz / Araks /
- Medieval settlement "Juga» (XI-XVII centuries).
The architectural complex in the village of Hanagah:
- The mausoleum (XIV c.) "Sheikh Khorasan" - the founder of the philosophical and religious movement in Islam - Khurufism - Fazlullah Naimi / alias Fazl / (1339-96-1401 years.)
- The mausoleum "Hood Khatun» / (XII-XIX centuries).
- 2-memorial minaret mosque (XII-XIX centuries).
- An ancient settlement “Galadzhig” (II-I millennium BC)
- The remains of the ruins of a medieval fortress “Gyavur Gala” (X-XII centuries).
1. Waterworks and reservoir on the river Aras / Araks /
2. Mineral springs " Vaykhir " " Sirab " and " Badamli " in Shahbuz region
3. Geological excursion in the area of settlement Paragachay (high molybdenum mines and other polymetallic ores on the western slopes of the mountain range Zangezur)
4. Excursion to the recreation area at Lake Batabat ( 2346 m ) in Shahbuz region:
|Museums and exhibitions|
The house-museum of the famous Azerbaijani writer Seid Mammad Ordubadi (1872-1950 .)
The house-museum of the famous scientist Yusif Mammedaliev (1905-1961 )
Museum of Azerbaijan Literature
The mausoleum and the tomb of the prophet Noah - "Nuh gyabiri" (XVII c.) in the vicinity of
Nakhchivan in the former village of Tymbyl
Carpet Museum / Rug Nakhchivan school / in the building of formerKhan palace
Historical and regional museums in Nahchivan and in Ordubad Ethnographic villages, handicraft workshops and shopping centers
1. The local market in the Historical and Cultural Reserve "Old Ordubad"
2. Trade and Entertainment Center" in Nakhchivan
3. Shopping center and old craft shops "Vezirhana" (Middle Ages), in Saderek village
|Where to take a tour, field trips and hikes:|
1. A sightseeing tour of the Nakhchivan city
2. Excursion trip to the Garabaglar village
3. Excursion trip to the wellness center "The Cave Duzdag”
4. Excursion trip to the sanctuary " Ashabi-Kahf”
5. Excursion trip to Julfa region (Julfa city and village Hanyagah)
6. Excursion trip with elements of tracking to the Ilanlidag mountain
7. Excursion trip to the Ordubad city
8. Excursion trip to the Batabad National Park
9. Jeep Safari in the mountainous part of Babak District
10. Shopping tour in the Saderek village (the border with Turkey)
|Where to stay|
High class hotels:
1. “Tyabriz” 5 * hotel in the heart of the Nakhchivan city
2. “Duzdag” 5 * SPA hotel,located from 14 km. to the north-west of the Nakhchivan city
Tourist class hotels:
1. "Grand Nakhchivan" 3 * (on the way from the airport)
2. "Genjlik" 3 * hotel in the city center
1. "Ukraine" 2 *, in Nakhchivan (entrance to the city from the airport)
2. "Azer" 2 *, in the city center
3. "Gartal" 2 *, in the city center